Father Thomas Price Council was chartered on August 31, 1924. The first Grand Knight was Herman Wolfe and the Chartered Chaplain was Rev. Thomas Griffin. Other chartered officers are unknown at this time. There were no District Deputies in 1924.
The council was formed at the time that the Raleigh Diocese was inaugurated in 1924. In the early years of the council they met at the Catholic Orphanage in Raleigh. When the Orphanage was disbanded the council was able to purchase 33 acres with a pond and an old clubhouse. This was used as the council's meeting place until a new clubhouse was built. The new meeting place is known as the Columbus Club of Raleigh and has been the scene of many District and State meetings as well as many degrees.
In the days prior to World War II the orphanage was the main project of the council. The work of the council was done around the children and the building. The council acted as surrogate fathers, taking the children under their wings, helping with their school work, providing clothing, vacations and kept the building in good working order.
During the War, the council was the only United Service Organization (USO) in Raleigh and the members saw that the military were entertained, fed and had a place to sleep. At the time of the council's 25th anniversary in 1949 the council had grown to over 100 members and included all of Wake, Durham and Johnston counties. Also by this time the council had two members who were State Deputies. Some of the noted members from this council were, Raymond Streb, George Burkett, Harry Clody, Charles Powers, Jr., W. W. Scott, George Wahl, Don Dubois and John Norkus. All were Past State Deputies, District Masters or Vice Supreme Master.
Some of the major accomplishments of the council, has been their dedication to the Catholic Advertising Program, the L. A. M. B. project at both the State and Council level. The council has held several State Conventions, State Golf Tournaments and a full program of local sports.
This is an independent council which has members from five local churches. Over the years the council has had Bishops, Monsignors and priest as Chaplains. For many years Father Price Council held a monthly Nocturnal Adoration Group made up of Knights. This was terminated at the request of the pastor as he felt the downtown area was no longer safe at night.
In 1999 the council will celebrate their 75th anniversary and it is gearing up for the celebration. Bishop Waters was an excellent member of this council, attended meetings and always appointed top priest to the council as Chaplains. Bishop Waters attended the council's 50th anniversary celebration and was honored by the council for his work within the Diocese and particularly for his work with and for the Knights of Columbus.
The council is honored to be named for the first TAR HEEL APOSTLE.
The council has survived the race issue and the conversion of the south. The Catholic population was less than 1% well into the 1950's. After this time the membership of the council saw a rapid growth.